Jewellery means more than a piece of accessory. For so long, Jewellery has been a statement of luxury and has often been associated with showing love. People give Jewellery to their loved ones to show affection an d commitment. On special occasions, people give Jewellery as a gift, and the receiver would feel special. But before you go shopping for Jewellery in Melbourne, there’s a lot of things you need to consider first.
Jewellery comes in different types with each type having different functions and the body part where it is worn. These accessories have different implications when given to someone special. Popular kinds of Jewellery and their popular, underlying connotations are:
- worn around the neck and is often given as a sign of love, especially at the early stages for the person to be reminded of you.
- worn at the wrists, bracelets are more of a women’s casual accessory.
- worn on the ears, earrings are worn to complement the face
- worn at the fingers, rings are usually given as a sign of commitment
Different kinds of Jewellery are usually made of gold or silver. Gemstones are usually used to make them look more appealing, alluring, and special. These gemstones play various roles in myths and legends, which is why up to today, their inclusions in Jewellery design, aside from adding beauty, also have their own meaning.
Each gemstone is unique–possessing its own special story and colour. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular gemstones used in Jewellery:
- highly admired all around the world, diamonds have been the symbol of eternal love and are regarded as the ultimate gift. When buying diamonds, you must be aware of the different colours, clarity, cut, and carat weight. The higher the carat, the more expensive diamonds are.
- has been associated with the ancient Egyptians and Romans with the sun god and the power to heal and protect its wearer. Topaz comes in shades of yellow, honey, and also shades of green, blue, and red.
- has long been associated with the promise of honesty, purity, and loyalty. It is one of the most popular stones used in engagement rings. Sapphires are more popularly known to have the colour blue, but it is also available in almost every colour of the rainbow.
- the royal gemstone of China ever since 2900 BC, Jade is known for its vivid green colour and smooth shapes. Jade is used not only for Jewellery but for plates and teacups as well. Up to today, people, especially Chinese, believe the jade will protect them from harm.
- this gemstone is available in a rainbow of colours. Garnet stones have been associated with protection against nightmares and accidents, that’s why travellers who believe in its legend, carry stones of garnet as they travel.
- with its green hue, emeralds are the symbol of love and rebirth. The deeper and more vivid colour of green and emerald has, the more valuable and expensive it becomes. Emeralds are the birthstone of people born in May.
- with its colour ranging in hues of blue, aquamarine has been a symbol of youth, hope, and health. It is the birthstone of people who are born in the month of March
- the July birthstone, rubies are more commonly available in a range of red hues. Rubies symbolize passion, love, and courage, and is known to give good fortune to its owner
- has been associated with many myths of the ancient Greeks and Romans. Amethyst is the birthstone of people who are born in February and is said to keep the wearer a clear head. This gemstone is available in many different shapes and sizes and is also one of the more affordable kinds of stone
- the October birthstone, opal encompasses the colours of all other gems. As you look at it from different perspectives, its colour plays and shifts.
- pearls have been called the “tears of the gods”. They are created within a living creature under the ocean’s depths. These gems are known to give a timeless, classic piece of Jewellery.
Considering the meaning and the beauty of each gemstone play a role in choosing Jewellery whether you want these gemstones to be on a necklace, ring, or bracelet. If you are planning to buy Engagement Rings Melbourne as a present to your special someone, you can consider their underlying meaning to magnify your intentions.