When getting married, having photos taken is not just important. It is one of the things that must be handled and done by experts. Remember, marriage is a once in a lifetime event. So, careful preparation from the wedding reception, gowns down to photography should be given great attention. Apparently, when it comes to wedding photos, black and white photography is preferred by many people. It’s probably because of the quality of the photos you can get and the fact that black and white photos don’t easily fade off.
Black and white photography has not only become trendy in the modern days, but is also associated with class. This article discusses about the advantages and the disadvantages of having black and white photography on your wedding day.
- Black and white photos do not fade with time.
- It is possible to create an interesting effect if you use black and white to print on different textured papers.
- Black and white makes every aspect of the photo look artistic.
- It is also possible to make black and white prints from the coloured film while the reverse process is sometimes not possible.
- If there are imperfections in the face such as red spots, small blotches, irritated skin and other facial complexions, they will all be shown in coloured photographs. However, when you choose to use black and white, such imperfections will be masked. Similarly paleness will be hidden by black and white effect.
- Black and white photos do not reveal the actual age of the persons in the photos. Wrinkles and hair imperfections are subdued. Thus, the real age of the person will be disguised.
- Black and white photo effects hide skin tone imperfections. This photo effect smoothen skin tone’s appeal and makes the subjects have soft features. This is because black and white photo effect reduces the skin tones’ contrasts.
- Black and white photos will remain clear even if lighting is not sufficient. This is a plus factor especially if the event is taking place indoor where the light is insufficient. This is not possible when taking coloured photos.
- The black and white photography reminds us of the past days and the humble beginning.
- It makes everyone look uniform and hides irrelevant wedding suit colour. For instance, if your mother in-law wears pink or red and wedding motif is purple, the photo will not show such.
Despite all this advantages, the black and white photos have also some of its shortcomings. It is very imperative that you should be informed of these disadvantages before making your decision. These include the following:
- After spending colossal amount of money on wedding decorations, the black and white photos will not capture the sense of colours or motif for such a big memorable event. Colours make the wedding alive, interesting and exciting, but this won’t be shown in black and white photos.
- Black and white photography requires a skilled photographer to perfectly bring out the life and meaning in the photos. Therefore, you must be an expert if you intend to get exciting photos yourself. If you lack this skill set, then you better find someone else to deliver the job well.
- It is easier to convert coloured pictures to black, but sometimes it is not possible to convert black and white to coloured ones.
- There is a general belief that black and photos are outdated and have no place in the modern society.
Base from the statement above, the advantages being presented outweigh the disadvantages. This means to say that black and white photography can make wedding photos look beautiful and meaningful as well. However, if you choose this photo effect, you must ensure that you or your hired photographer will use a camera that enables for the images to be converted to coloured ones. Ensure that you have both the coloured and black and white effects to be able to compare the two and pick on the photos you believe are the best for you.